How To Keep Cut Flowers Fresh
Based on the latest research, we recommend the following simple tips to ensure that your flowers last longer and look lovelier:
- Make sure the vases are very clean.
- Use fresh, lukewarm water and commercially cut flower food.
- Strip all leaves below the water level.
- Take at least 3cm (1″) off all stems, making a slanted cut with a sharp knife or very sharp scissors.
- Avoid direct sunlight, heat or draughts, which can shorten flowers’ lives.
- Keep flowers away from fruit and remove faded flowers as they occur.
- Top up the water regularly.
After 2-3 days, take the flowers out of the vase, empty the water and refill them with lukewarm water and re-cut the stems on an angle with a sharp knife or scissors.